Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A (H1N1) = A Hysteric Nation

I was in the middle of a lecture last June 3, 2009 when Bro. Armin’s (DLSU president) memo regarding the 10-day quarantine circulated. My initial reactions were a combination of disappointment and distress. Disappointed because class suspension means make up classes; distressed because DLSU’s decision would breed paranoia. I’ve told my friends and family to wait for the domino effect…

And there it goes. The Filipinos are now in a state of mass hysteria. Schools and offices are suspending operations; more and more are wearing masks. I find these moves futile and counter-productive. Futile because no matter how much disinfectant these schools and offices apply around their campus and buildings, the virus is still out there—invisible, inevitable. Counter-productive because it slows down everything—from simple lessons and activities to national economy.

I’m not a doctor, but in my level of analysis, I just think that the Filipinos are making false moves in treating this epidemic. So what if there are viruses in the air? If I’m not mistaken, they co-exist with us in this planet. Well, just like what I said to my students after reading the memo: “If we die today, we die today.” Moreover, current reports tell us that the virus isn’t so deadly. In fact, Dengue and Malaria are scarier than A (H1N1) (but we’ve never heard a school that suspended its classes because of them).

I blame everything to the media (and partly to the Department of Health) for planting the seeds of paranoia into the minds of the Filipinos. We receive reports about more people being infected by the virus, but we rarely hear (or read) updates regarding those patients who have recovered! We heard cases of patients being quarantined, but now we hear them say there’s nothing to be afraid of, and that we can be cured even at our homes. Absurd. Pathetic.

Let’s stop the paranoia. Take our vitamins. Strengthen our immune system. If we still get sick, then let’s pray for recovery.

No comments: